The Union of Civil Servants
When people that work with support and service to the citizens are able to be fully dedicated to their core work tasks they are a positive force to be reckoned with. Our mission is to make sure that employees within the state have the right prerequisites to do their job the best way possible. Not only does it benefit our members´ but also the citizens that we work for.
ST is a member of TCO and we are not connected to a political party. When we take stand in political issues we do it from the perspective of our members interests – never out of political party interests.
What we do
- Negotiation, for example salary and terms
- Offer judicial support in work related law
- Arrange union programmes, courses, events and network meetings
- Provide advice and guidance related to your workplace
- Exercise influence with purpose to improve the conditions on your workplace
- Support vocational progress
- Offer advantageous insurances and membership loans for you and your family
ST - The Union of Civil Servants is the largest union within the state and has approximately 90 000 members. Our members work for state agencies, companies employed by the state, universities, colleges and state financed foundations.
ST organizes its members according to the following principle; one workplace - one trade union. In general there is an ST section at every authority, public utility or state company.
Facts about us
- We consist of approximately 90 000 members
- We have 10 000 elected representatives
- We have 97 sections for government agencies and state companies
- 70 percent of our members are women
- Our members are paying about one percent of their salary in membership subscription
The supreme decision-making body of ST is the Congress. Delegates to the Congress consist primarily of the Executive Committee and representatives from the sections and districts.
The Congress is convened every four years. Each year a General Union Assembly is held at which, among other things, the budget for the coming year is determined.
There is also a Negotiation Council which acts as an advisory body to the Executive Committee on questions relating to collective bargaining.
The Executive Committee
The work of the union is led by the twelve members of the Executive Committee. This work is supported by a Central Office and a regional unit in Stockholm and six regional units throughout the country. ST employs a total of around 130 staff.
ST co-operates with other trade union affiliates of The Public Employees´ Negotiation Council (OFR), The Swedish Confederation of Professional Employees (TCO) and the international trade union movement.
- ST is a member of the following International Trade Secretariats
- PSI, Public Services International
- UNI, Union Network International
- ITF, International Transport Workers´ Federation
ST is independent in party-political and religious terms.