Student membership

ST – the Union of Civil Servants is a trade union for employees in the government sector, and students who aim for a career in the government sector. We are the largest white-collar union in this sector.

Becoming a student member

Sign up here

Who can become a student member?

  • You should be interested in the government sector
  • You are a student at a Swedish college or university
  • You should intend to stay in Sweden and apply for a job here

What you get as a student member

Career advice

Career coaching, interview training and resumé reviewing are som of the career assistance we can offer when you´re applying for a job in the government sector.


Get financial aid from our scholarship. Every term up to three applicants are awarded between 5 000-10 000 SEK each to write their bachelor or masters thesis abroad. Apply for the scholarship here.

Legal contracts

Get legal advice and write cohabitation agreements and leases online for free in cooperation with the law firm Avtal24.

Support and advice

Get legal advice and answers to your questions about your job, pay or employment conditions. You can call our service ST Direkt Monday to Friday between 8.00-20.00 at 0771-555 444.

The fee

The fee is free. 

Once you get a job in the government sector you only pay 100 SEK for the entire first year of your active professional membership

What does ST do?

ST negotiates and signes collective agreements with a large number of employers in the government sector.

These agreements regulate working conditions and aspects of the employer-employee relation. For example:

  • Overtime compensation
  • Working hours
  • Vacation days
  • Entitlement to competence development

And much more. Read more about what we do here.

Our main task is to ensure that members feel secure in their workplace and that collective agreements and labour laws are respected.

What is the government sector?

In Sweden the government, administration is organised as agencies. They carry out most government business. Along with small ministries that are responsible for legislation, policy making and control. The central government sector includes all government agencies, regardless of wether they are financed by subsidies or on an assignment basis.


If you have any questions you can contact us here:

Phone 0771 555 444